Saturday, January 27, 2007

Train toliets leave alot to be desired

Ahhhh Chiang Mai…..




Lyle, Sandy and I were only to happy to leave Bangkok for a little something slower paced. We booked our train tickets to Chiang Mai and boarded the night train. The train is an experience on it’s own and to be honest, one of my favorite ways to travel Thailand. On a train you get your own little sleeping compartment, which is kinda like camping and you are on with a bunch of other travelers which makes for meeting people a lot easier. You can move around, enjoy the scenery and your stuff is secure. It’s fantastic. The one draw back that I can find is the grotty bathrooms. You get your choice of the squatty or the toilet, but really you are hovering anyways so it doesn’t really matter. And did I hover! All the years of nagging from my aunt and mother to never sit on a public toilet has paid off in full! As many of you are already aware, I have a bit of a phobia of public bathrooms. Rarely am I without wet wipes and anti-bacterial cleaners. This trip has been no different. I sanitized the whole bathroom before I could convince my little bladder that all was safe for my princess pee to be released. The toilets literally run onto the track. You can see the train tracks as you look down the hole. I would not want to be living anywhere near the train tracks. It would be so smelly!



We’ve been having a really relaxing trip so far. Lots of fantastic conversation and I have had quite a few conversations with the locals to practice and learn more Thai. I am hoping that at some point this trip I will be able to take a Thai language course. We’ll see how it all works out. Lyle and I have also been into playing a lot of cards and he has still to beat me at crib. I am a crib champion here in Thailand.

The scenery from the train to Chiang Mai was stunning. A lot of hills, flat lands and rice patties. Looking out the window you see farmers in their fields with their water and banana plants. It’s gorgeous.

I found a fantastic guesthouse in the old part of Chiang Mai for 300B ($10) that has double beds, and a private bath. It’s perfect! I want to move in and stay forever. This cute guesthouse is run by a American couple who have been nothing but helpful. And, the best part? Wi-fi in my own room!!! Hooray! I love how technology is progressing so quickly.

We’ve only so far had a terrific vegetarian lunch and a walk through Chiang Mai and already I am so much more relaxed than Bangkok. I guess it’s the islander in me. Looks like I will be here a while. Let me know of there is anything I should look into doing. I love hearing from all of you. Kisses!!!

No comments: