Friday, February 2, 2007

We'll always have Chiang Mai!

Chiang Mai. >SIGH< What can be said about this city? If I wasn’t so relaxed I could probably think up scores of things, but really, I can’t. I am in the northern part of Thailand where the pace is a lot slower than Bangkok and it is teeming with amazing food and culture. This is normally where travelers go for treks, cooking and language courses, etc… I love coming here. The climate is agreeable. It’s like an early summer day and it’s not humid. And what I like is it that Chiang Mai has all these wonderful little alleys or soi’s where most people just wander thorough. I can honestly say that most of my time spent has just been walking through the neighborhoods and staring at the locals. I am such a tourist!














And if you haven’t heard enough about the food I have been eating… there is more! The great thing about up here in Chiang Mai is that they focus more on natural, whole foods. Like Thai food isn’t already fresh and amazing! It seems like everyone is more focused on healthier living. There are a few herbal steam houses, a lot of yoga studios and places where one can take a retreat. And I am going to have to say that this is the first year that I have noticed the abundance of hippies that have made their way here. Sure, who doesn’t love a great hippy now and then, but I am shocked by how many have come here. Now that I think about it, how do thy travel? I’ve never seen one at an airport? Back home, they hitch hike everywhere or drive old vans. I had no idea that hippies to travel internationally. There are a lot of them that transform over night from Ko San Road, with their newly dreaded hair and cheap new digs, but where have all these other ones come from? Do they dress up a little before they get on a plane?

Something interesting about Chiang Mai is that they have literally built on top of their original city that is hundreds of years old. Everywhere you go, you notice these brick ruins or a crumbling Chedi or Wat. It’s a little bizarre, but atleast they haven’t plowed down their heritage sites for a …. McDonald’s.



















I have fallen into a routine here in Chiang Mai. Morning breakkie at Nice Kitchen, walk, massage, walk through market, shopping, and then before bed herbal steam. Nothing too exciting to write about. Lyle and Sandy have been doing the touristy things during the day and having a fantastic time. So far, they’ve done a trek where they got to ride elephants, a cooking course and they have also gone to the flower exposition at the Royal Winter home. I have just been walking through the city and feeling like a local. One day though I did get lost and I was rescued by these old women from Germany who were coming back from a dog show. They were dog lovers that rescue the stray dogs and steralise them. Thailand has a huge stray cat and dog problem and because they are Buddhist, they just let them wander everywhere. In some parts it can be annoying as the dogs like to travel in packs. It breaks my heart to see all the kitties roaming the streets going through all the garbage. Leo and Subee have it so good! So, these old ladies were in the back of a truck with all these dogs and bags of rice etc… I just climbed on in and they spent the afternoon showing me around and chatting with me. Sometimes, you just have to be open to any experience that comes your way.




I have also had a fantastic few days with this rock star guy from South Africa who had a lot to tell me about what the gay steam baths are like here in Thailand. And after an amazing Italian dinner and horribly strong cocktails at a Thai reggae bar, I lost him forever to the Go-Go bars of Chiang Mai. Charlie! Where have you gone!?! We'll always have Chiang Mai...



So there you have it, my Chiang Mai experience in one post. We are heading down South soon for some beaches and diving. I hoe you are all doing well. I have added some pics of the markets as well just below. I could spend all day looking at all their different fruits and vegetable displays. I love hearing from all of you. Can you believe it's been 2 weeks? I thought it had only been a week. Where is the time going?

Kisses, M.



3 comments:

Jennifer said...

It looks like you are having such a good time! Massage every day? I am so jealous. The fresh fruit looks so good too, especially since our grocery stores are still stocked with just apples and bananas right now. Yay for Merie!

Jennifer said...

(whoops - this is Jennifer, not James - he's probably not as jealous of the massages and fruit.!)

Merie said...

Hey Jennifer!

I am having a great time. You know what Thailand is all about though, as you have gotten a little taste. Ya, I have to say that the markets are my favorite place. I wish I could just stop eating!!!