Sunday, March 4, 2007

Week of celebrations

Hey All!

I am in the airport in Bangkok waiting for my flight to New Zealand. I have had a whirlwind few days and I am just now, catching up on my postings. This past week I celebrated Lucia and Geoff’s birthday right after one another. Lucia was a doll and put on a seafood night and invited a whole bunch of us to dine and drink on her. The guest house owner went to the market and got all the fresh goods and cooked it up. Afterwards, we retreated to our balconies, our bungalows are side by side, to have a porch monkey party - Canadian style. That is, basically, where we buy all the goods to make out own buckets instead of paying the high prices in the bars. That way we get to drink more. The English don’t really do this much at home as they are used to going to pubs to socialize, where us Canadians, feel more at home in the kitchen drinking our booze at a cheaper (and also much faster) rate.



The next night was Geoff’s birthday and the guys put on a surprise dinner at the Eagle Pub where the owner cooked us up an amazing feast for free. Turns out, when you drink as much as Geoff at one of your favored pubs (once again a English thing), you get preferential treatment. It’s all good. Geoff is such a stellar guy that he deserves it. Besides, it was his big 4-0. It was also the night before the Eagle Bar party that the same guys were throwing, so there were some birthday fireworks for Geoff that we all enjoyed on a full stomach. Not too much of a crazy night that night as we were all gearing up for the big bash the next night.

During the day, I was kept busy by diving in the amazing Marine park near Ko Tao. It was awesome and I saw some fantastic fish. I ended up talking to someone on the boat ride back about his dive trips in New Zealand and now I am thinking about adding that on my list of to do’s while I am there.

Sunday rolls around with huge anticipation for the Eagle Bar party. Sebastion, Michael, Jamie and Geoff started the planning process with just wanting to light off fireworks and then it morphed into a thousand dollars worth of the goods, as well as DJ’s from London, speakers bigger than Jamie and scented flyers to advertise the event. Haad Yao had never seen a party like this on it’s beach and it went so well I am certain I heard the boys planning next years already. It was a fun night of dancing on the beach and listening to great house music while being fueled by whiskey buckets.
I actually had to pack up and head back to Bangkok via another ferry and train trip the next morning so I partied hard and went to bed early at 5:30 am so I could get up and check out before 10 am. Surprise, surprise, I ended up sleeping in and started packing my month of living in less than one hour. It was a sad ending to a fun month. Everyone came by to say good-bye and all I wanted to do was just say, “Screw New Zealand, I’m staying for another bucket!” But I didn’t. I had no time at all to get to the ferry and I literally ran on. The train ride again was excellent. I shared some time with a Thai lawyer who spent the evening teaching me new thai words and phrases and I only had to use the grotty bathroom once!

Bangkok is even hotter than Hades at this point and now I remember why I normally head back around this time. Sebastion made it up to Bangkok where we hung out and went out for Indian for a change. I also ran into someone from home I know – Bo. Turns out his twin and he are traveling all trough Asia as well. It’s great running into someone you know when you are so far away. We had a nice evening of conversation as well.

So that’s it. Just another plane ride and then new adventure begins.

Miss you all!

M

No comments: